With just over a month left of 2012, I find myself feeling somewhat overwhelmed as I scramble to try and complete my final goals for the year. Let me fist start off by saying how grateful I am for all that I have accomplished this year.
- Landing an art therapy job
- Becoming a permanent resident of the U.S.
- Presenting at the Art Therapy Conference in Savannah, GA
- Celebrating 1 year of marital bliss
- Involvement in planning the annual regional symposium for the local art therapy chapters
These are just a few of many accomplishments, but as I mentioned in the musings last week, in order to move forward it is important to first note where we’ve come from and what we’ve accomplished. And then there are the things we haven’t quite brought into fruition yet.
- What Are They..? Review your goals/resolutions you set last January. What have you achieved..? What do you still need to work toward..? Take a moment to reflect on your accomplishments.
- Are They Still Important..? This question applies more to the things on your list that you haven’t accomplished to date. Are these goals you would still like to accomplish? Or have your interests shifted? There is no right or wrong answer to this question, but it’s important that you’re honest with yourself when you answer it
- How Are They Achievable..? Consider what small steps you take to begin to implement these resolutions today. Yes TODAY, not in January.
Why is it Important to Begin to Implement These Changes Now?
It’s easy to make excuses to ourselves. I will start _(insert project here)_ in the new year or when I have time I’d like to _(insert project here)_. One of my famous lines is “when I get through this busy period I will _(insert project here)_. Yet, when that busy period ends there is always something more pressing that needs my attention. Two of my big goals for 2012 that got pushed onto the back burner were to:
- Build my Etsy Shop
- Invest time and energy here on the blog
While it would be easy to put these things off until January, I am certain that come the new year there will be new opportunities begging for my time and attention. So, even though December is a busy month filled with holiday parties, Christmas shopping, and travel I decided it was important to create a plan of action and take baby steps to implement these two goals – making them more natural to integrate in 2013. Thanks for reading and supporting me in implementing one of my goals!
What are some of your goals for the new year..? How do you intend to implement them..?